Tips for starting a recycling center
November 8, 2010
By General Kinematics
Want to start a recycling center but are not sure how? GK has compiled a list of requirements to help get you started in determing the feasibility of recycling in your area.
To get started:
- Determine the type of material your facility will be processing. Most common materials are municipal waste, commercial waste, construction & demolition debris, or specialty items such as electronics waste recycling.
- Determine local governmental requirements and market size for the particular material processing you wish to do.
- Determine local landfill tipping fees, then develop a business model based off tipping and material profits versus the estimated costs to set up and run a profitable recycling operation.
- Find a suitable location for your process center that offers easy vehicle access as well as being near companies that are willing to buy recycled material.
- Purchase or lease recycling sorting, picking, and baling equipment. You will need this equipment in order to process recyclables.