Ask the Experts
VIBRA-DRUM® Sand Casting Equipment
Depending on your unique application, different equipment solutions may fit your operations, such as sand preparation, pouring, molding, and casting better than others. In the past separate units would be used for sand conditioning, casting, cleaning, and cooling. However, GK offers a solution that will save space while providing all three functions in one unit. Proven in hundreds of applications worldwide, General Kinematics’ VIBRA-DRUM® Sand & Casting Conditioners have revolutionized high volume mold/sand handling for foundry applications. This versatile Two-Mass system gently tumbles castings and provides accelerated casting cooling through equalizing of sand/casting temperatures and evaporation of moisture. This tumbling action reduces sand lumps to original grain size and blends sand to equalize shakeout sand temperature — all in one continuous, energy-efficient operation.
The gentle tumbling action of the VIBRA-DRUM® keeps the castings in a free bed of sand, never dropping or creating impact during the shakeout process. This action provides the gentlest shakeout in the industry, allowing the automated shakeout of fragile castings.
The Two-Mass VIBRA-DRUM® delivers continuous shakeout operation, plus superior material motion for efficient sand casting processing. Natural frequency vibration produces a beneficial drum-like material rotation that quickly reduces sand lumps without casting damage. High-frequency agitation efficiently reduces sand to original grain size. This provides a simple, easy-to-maintain, non-rotating design with all the environmental benefits of a totally enclosed drum — but with no air handling, sealing, or interface problems, and no casting damage.
- Totally enclosed structure contains airborne silica and dust for a cleaner work environment.
- Non-rotation design is easier to feed, unload, and maintain.
- Significant sound reduction is achieved because the castings travel through a bed of sand within a fully enclosed unit.
- Sand and castings are cooled to permissible handling temperature before exiting the drum.
For more information on foundry safety, check out our Foundry Safety Series
- Non-rotation design is easier to feed, unload, hook up to your air handling system, and maintain than competitive shakeout technologies.
- Springs: GK vibratory springs are designed for 24/7 continuous duty, and require little to no maintenance over the life of the machine. GK heavy-duty springs do not break or wear out under normal operation.
- Parts: The natural frequency drums have few moving parts. Maintenance for metal sand casting equipment is contained to bearing lubrication and monitoring of motor and drive components.
- Drive Force: Natural frequency vibration of the VIBRA-DRUM® produces a beneficial drum-like material rotation that quickly reduces sand lumps without casting damage. The tumbling action of the VIBRA-DRUM® scrubs the casting surfaces without sustaining casting damage.
- The VIBRA-DRUM® brings controlled metallurgical cooling to castings for a better quality end product.
- The scrubbing action of the VIBRA-DRUM® foundry equipment produces cleaner casting surfaces, reducing shot blast consumable consumption up to 20%.
- The two-mass drive system uses up to 2/3rd’s less energy compared to direct drive machines, creating substantial energy savings.
- The gentle tumbling action in the sand bed helps protect castings from casting on casting surface damage. The net result is a significant reduction in scrap and reworks post shakeout.